11 INCREDIBLE FACTS ABOUT HUMAN SKIN
You probably don’t know just how amazing your skin really is—take a look at these 11 incredible facts about human skin.
1. At a weight of about eight pounds and an area of some 22 square feet, skin is the largest organ of the human body.
2. The skin around our whole body has its own unique stretching ability. For example, the skin on your knuckles is able to stretch way more than the skin on your arms.
3. The human body is made up of about 60 percent water, without our skin, we would literally evaporate.
4. Our skin color is determined by the amount of a pigment called melanin, which protects us from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Dark-skinned people originally came from more tropical regions, while those with the fairest complexions were once native to northern regions that see less sun.
5. Goosebumps appear when we’re cold or feeling a strong emotion. This is because our muscles are tensed, causing our pores to protrude outward instead of inward.
6. The oiliness of our skin determines what type of hair will grow. Large oil glands, which produce more oil, have thinner hairs. Small oil glands, that produce less oil, have thicker hair. You can observe this on the face because where there is a lot of oil there are few hairs. Regions of the face, like the peripheral, have more hair because the oil glands there are smaller. This is why men grow beards on the peripheral of their face, not the middle!
7. You skin varies in thickness depending on the job of the body part it covers. The thinnest skin is around the eyes, at 0.05mm, while the thickest, found on the soles of the feet, is 23 times thicker at 1.5mm.
8. Every minute, you lose between 30,000 and 40,000 skin cells (that’s about nine pounds in a year)! Your skin is constantly making new cells deep inside, moving them up toward the surface to replace those that are lost.
9. Scars only form when there’s damage to the second layer of skin, called the dermis. This is because scar collagen is different from “normal” collagen and isn’t shed and replaced.
10. Melanin is also responsible for the color of your eyes. The skin that covers your eyes is very sensitive and clear.
11. You have over 11 miles of blood vessels just in your skin—more than twice the height of Mount Everest.
By Ashlee Campbell and Reviewed by Dr Botros
BENEFITS OF VITAMIN C
You’ve probably already heard of Vitamin C. It is in our food, beverages and even skincare. We get our daily vitamin C intake from many sources, citrus fruits being the most well-known, strawberry’s, peas, and even potatoes contain Vitamin C. Vitamin C can be supplemented by oral intake or infusion. Recommended daily dose of Vitamin C is based on age & medical condition, please consult your doctor prior to starting Vitamin C supplementation. Over 2000 mg of Vitamin C can cause averse side effects of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches & abdominal cramping. Vitamin C is quite important for people who smoke or live in large cities where air pollution is more common as that is putting free radicals into your skin and causing oxidative stress. Studies have found that most smokers have low levels of vitamin C, thought to be from the oxidative stress your skin endures from smoking. The Vitamin C acts as a “scavenger” and donates high-energy electrons to neutralize free radicals.
Adding a Vitamin C serum into your skincare routine could be that extra boost your skin needs to help collagen production. We recommended every patient to start a topical Vitamin C serum around age 18. At Plaza Aesthetics and Wellness, we recommend SkinBetter Science Alto Defense Serum as well as our Plaza Aesthetics Radiant-C serum . Both great choices to add Vitamin C into your skincare routine. Schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our skincare specialists to determine if a topical Vitamin C should be added to your skincare routine.
EYE LASH SERVICES, FIND THE ONE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU!
Wanting more robust lashes but unsure which lash treatment is best for your needs? We have highlighted the most common lash procedures offered at Plaza Aesthetics & Wellness. Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with one of our lash professionals. Our lash artists offer a complimentary consultation to assist in determining the best treatment for your aesthetic concern.
Eyelash extensions are an application of individual lashes or professionally made lash fans that are attached to your natural lashes and used to enhance the length, curl, fullness, thickness and color of your natural eyelashes. The extensions/fans are made with faux mink and are applied by using one extension or fan applied to each individual natural lash using a semi-permanent glue. Lash Extensions are available in classic (an individual extension applied on a 1:1 ratio per natural lash), hybrid (a combination of classic and volume lashes) and volume (super lightweight lashes that are professionally hand crafted into a fan before being applied to each natural lash). Extensions will fall out naturally along with the natural growth cycle of each lash.
Applying a full set of lash extensions can take about two hours and can be maintained with one-hour touch-ups at least every 2-3 weeks.
Lash extensions are perfect for those that don’t have enough time, energy, or patience to wear false strip or cluster lashes everyday but still want a dramatic lash look. Every person has different natural lashes, therefore the extensions are based on the condition of your natural lashes. Lash experts are limited to a certain size or length to maintain the integrity of your natural lashes ensure that your lashes stay healthy. Ask about our lash memberships!
A lash lift and is a chemical cosmetic process which lifts and curls your natural lashes, acting as a perm for your eyes. Unlike lash extensions, this type of lash enhancement only works with your natural lash length and there are no faux lashes involved in this procedure. This process uses a lash perming solution followed by a neutralizer to hold lashes in place over a silicone shield or rod placed over your eyelid. Each phase is given special attention based on your natural lash health.
A lash lift is a great option for those wanting a more natural look and less maintenance and upkeep.
The process takes approximately one hour and lasts about 6-8 weeks (depending on your natural lash cycle).
Eyelash tinting is the process of using a semi-permanent dye to darken your natural lashes for a more defined and intensified look without the need for mascara. A lash tint has nothing to do with the curl or length of your lashes. The lash tint is concerned with the shade and color of your lashes. Lash tints create a natural sense of depth to your lash line and effortlessly helps you achieve the no-makeup, makeup look.
Lash tints are a great idea for people with lighter lashes and can be performed as a complimentary service to a lash lift.
The tinting process takes approximately 15 minutes and lasts around 6 to 8 weeks (depending on your natural lash cycle), with minimal care required.
A lash serum is a perfect product to use with extensions or lifts to help maintain the health of your natural lashes. A serum is also a great option for those with completely natural lashes. Eyelash serums are formulated products that enhance lash growth by stimulating the hair growth and aim to improve the hair’s natural follicles’ health.
The Plaza Aesthetics and Wellness Advanced Eyelash Growth Serum is a clinically proven system utilizing a unique peptide complex and is rich in Biochanin A to promote thicker, fuller, longer and more luscious lashes with results visible in just 2 weeks of regular use. In clinical studies there was a 73% improvement in lash density within 4 weeks of use, a 45% increase in new lashes within 2 months of use, and a 25% increase in eyelash length within 2 weeks of use.
(bimatoprost ophthalmic solution)
Latisse is an FAP-approved prescription treatment to grow eyelashes for people with inadequate lashes. This serum is clinically proven to make eyelashes longer, thicker, and darker. In Allergan’s clinical trial, 78% of users experienced eyelash enhancement. The solution works progressively with striking full results in 16 weeks.
5 WAYS TO KEEP YOUR SKIN MOISTURIZED THIS WINTER
When the cold weather hits, all we want to do is stay warm. Many of us forget that our skin needs extra TCL in the winter months. Skin is made up of three layers — the outer layer (epidermis), the underlying skin (dermis) and the subcutaneous tissue. If the outermost layer of the epidermis doesn’t contain enough water, skin will lose elasticity and feel rough. In general, anything that causes loss of water and reduces barrier function of the top layer of skin, or stratum corneum, can lead to the feeling of dry skin. Exposure to outside irritants such as chemicals, solvents, detergents, and excessive water can make skin dry. Other things that can dry skin out are fragrances such as perfume, excessive bathing or swimming, and even certain weather conditions. Low humidity, cool air and dry winds are drying for the skin. We typically see dry skin in the winter when all these factors are playing a role. Below are 5 ways to keep your skin moisturized during the long winter months.
1. Moisturize, Moisturize, and Moisturize – Adding in medical grade skincare products such as Trio Rebalancing Moisturizer by Skin Better Science will get you through the dry months. Trio is a high-performance, triple-action formula that helps to bring moisture and hydration balance back to skin. What makes Trio unique is its ability to bind to the fat layer of the dermal epidermal junction, ensuring a deeper penetration of your moisturizer. Trio supports healthier-looking skin, resulting in improved appearance of skin radiance, suppleness, and smoothness. You will notice visible improvement in the look of fine lines, wrinkles, and skin dryness.
2. Get a Humidifier – Winter—and just change of weather in general—does all the things to your skin. And even if you’re slathering on a really good moisturizer twice a day, that thin layer of lotion will only get you so far when the dry air is actively pulling water from your skin. The fix? investing in a humidifier, adding moisture to the air will assist in adding hydration in your skin.
3. Using and Drinking Water – If you’re looking to maintain hydrated skin avoid prolonged contact with hot water. Avoid using deodorant soap and skin care products that contain alcohol, fragrance, retinoids, or alpha hydroxy acid. Moisturize immediately after taking a bath or shower or washing your hands. There are multiple benefits to drinking adequate water most notably to improve your overall daily performance, energy and brain function. The average healthy person should drink 60 oz of water per day to maintain proper hydration during the winter. There are multiple medical conditions where you may need to limit or increase your water consumption. Please consult with your primary care physician to see how much water you should be consuming daily.
4. Turn Down The Heat – When temperatures dip or when you’re blasting your heat, so do humidity levels. The drop causes roughness and flaking on your skin’s outermost layer. The higher the heat the dryer the skin. A humidifier, however, emits moisture (usually via a mist) to get your space to the optimal humidity sweet spot: between 40% and 60%.
5. Relax with a Face Mask – Adding a moisturizing facial mask to your skincare routine can make a world of difference. Using harsh facial scrubs and cleansers during the winter can increase the chances of dry skin by stripping it of its natural oils. Try switching over to a gentle facial cleanser, we recommend Hexam by Vivier Pharma, and follow up with a mask. Take 10 minutes of your day to relax with a light facial mask that’ll wrap your skin in essential hydrating ingredients. We recommend Ultra Hydrating Mask by Vivier Pharma, a luxurious mask that helps re-hydrate the skin while helping to diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Once you’ve removed your mask, apply a rich moisturizer to your face and avoid products with fragrances or alcohol.